Best Zumba Shoes for Men

December 2nd, 2009

Despite being created by a genius man, Beto Perez, Zumba classes are overwhelmingly women. The token males in my Zumba classes are absolutely adored.

That is all I thought about men regarding Zumba until this week when a reader, Dan, posted a comment on my post Where to Buy Dance Shoes. Dan asked:

can you recommend a zumba shoe for men?

What a great question and in fact, yes I can recommend some shoes for men for Zumba!

One of the most well-known brands of dance shoe is Capezio. My college dance team used Capezio dance sneakers as part of the team uniform and several of my Zumba regulars where Capezio dance sneakers to class.

Capezio offers several varieties of men’s and unisex athletic dance shoes for men that would no doubt work well for men doing Zumba. My personal favorites are the Capezio Rockit and the Capezio Toggle. The main difference is that Capezio Rockit has laces and the Capezio Toggle doesn’t. Reviews for both models are excellent and some reviews actually list Zumba as the main reason the person bought the shoe. Online shoe stores like Zappos and Discount Dance Supply carry Capezio dance sneakers in men’s sizes.

capezio rockit

• Slashdot
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo! Bookmarks

Related Posts

9 Responses to “Best Zumba Shoes for Men”

1. Owen on March 1, 2010 6:34 am

Just wanted to say thank you for the excelent advice. Being male and doing zumba makes for finding advice on such things as shoes a bit of a challenge, and while I’m imensley fond of the running shoes I have been wearing. The grip has been a bit too much to actualy do much more than jump on the spot in alot of moves.

So once again. Thanks for the excelent advice.

2. rencsi on March 1, 2010 12:32 pm

My pleasure! Slipping and sticking can be issues in Zumba and I think you’ll enjoy getting the “full experience” sliding across the studio floor in athletic dance shoes. I wish more men would do Zumba and I’m happy to offer any info I can.

3. Owen on March 1, 2010 10:21 pm

Mm. Although I can understand the lack of men in zumba classes. At first blush the movements definitely aren’t aimed at a male build. Some of the hip movements in particular still boggle my mind. Thoroughly enjoyable though. The shoes should be here by the next session so I’ll let you know how in get on with them.

4. rencsi on March 3, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks for the male Zumba participant point of view, Owen! Please let us know what you think of your dance shoes when you get a chance to try them out.

5. Guillermo Camoriano on June 28, 2010 9:14 am

I have been doing Zumba for well over a year now. I tried one of the Zumba shoes and they did work fairly well on a nice smooth gym wooden floor. However, they offered basically no arch support. They also did not work well at all on a different floor in another gym, this floor was not a wooden floor and it was much “stickier” which could end up hurting your knees.
    I made my own solution, bought a pair of cross trainers (such as Asics cross trainers), and then had a set of leather half soles put on the shoes (had a shoemaker do this, for about $ 25). Perfect shoes on any floor, slide nicely, plenty of support. The half soles have stayed on for over a year of practically daily Zumba dancing (yes, 7 days a week!).

6. mike on November 9, 2010 10:37 pm

why can’t I find zumba shoes for wide feet everything is med. big guys want to get in shape too.

7. Duby on January 11, 2011 10:14 pm

I am a male Zumba instructor and I use wrestling shoes for class and they work pretty well. It allows you to move laterally and pivot pretty well.

8. Danielle on April 19, 2011 5:01 pm

I’m a female with wide feet. I’m wondering if cheerleading shoes would work and maybe even bowling? They both come in athletic looks (male & female) these days so, no you wouldn’t be walking around in saddle shoes and singing “Summer Nights” from Grease. LOL They also come wide width.

9. dereck on June 9, 2011 8:16 am

I’m also a male looking for a zumba shoe and I’ve seen several women shoes no mens, also there is a lot of people saying different things about the shoes, Example: to tight or the shoes doesnt have the pivot and they dont slide accross the floor..I’m confused which is the best shoe to obtain, your early post stated that the capezio shoe did nothing but stick to the floor..needing help here dont know which zumba sneaker to purchase
    thanks